Re: UI Freeze Breakage Request: Nautilus

Am Dienstag, den 22.02.2005, 17:01 +0100 schrieb Murray Cumming:
> On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 16:45 +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:

> > > This seems like a new feature to me, rather than just a UI break. But
> > > anyway, why can't this wait for GNOME 1.11/12?
> >
> > Hrm, Nautilus maintainers think it is nice to have this in 2.10.
> > Follow-ups on usability and nautilus-list (see [1] follow-up from Luca
> > for instance) heavily appreciate this patch. It really seems to improve
> > user experience since it allows you to really operate on the open folder
> > instead of opening the parent folder first.
>
> I don't understand. I thought it let you do things with the current
> folder. How does it let you do things with a parent folder?

At the moment, if you want to move or copy a folder /foo/bar using
spatial nautilus, and have /foo/bar open in nautilus, you have to open
its parent folder (/foo) first, select "bar" and drag the folder "bar"
to its destination. This is far away from being convinient, considering
that for remote services opening the parent folder may take much time
and it could be achieved with less interaction. Users complain about
that for two minors.

> Even if it's a UI change, we are still days away from a code freeze. The
> UI freeze is not just for documenters. It also encourages stability and
> provides enough feedback on changes.

Ok. Thanks for clearing this up.

[4]
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2005-February/msg00037.html