Re: UI Freeze Breakage Request: Nautilus

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 16:45 +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 22.02.2005, 16:13 +0100 schrieb Murray Cumming:
> > On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 15:51 +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > > I'd like to request approval for UI freeze breakage.
> > > Description of the nautilus patch (from [1]):
> > >
> > > "After applying this patch, you should be able to drag any focused
> > > folder's spatial window through it's location button located on the
> > > bottom left of the window. It will allow you to move, copy or link the
> > > dragged folder to any other folder, including the trash."
> >
> > This seems like a new feature to me, rather than just a UI break. But
> > anyway, why can't this wait for GNOME 1.11/12?
>
> Hrm, Nautilus maintainers think it is nice to have this in 2.10.
> Follow-ups on usability and nautilus-list (see [1] follow-up from Luca
> for instance) heavily appreciate this patch. It really seems to improve
> user experience since it allows you to really operate on the open folder
> instead of opening the parent folder first.

I don't understand. I thought it let you do things with the current
folder. How does it let you do things with a parent folder?

> Maybe it's just me, but is there really any reason to reject this
> (codewise terse) patch? Doesn't calling this a feature addition mean
> breaking a butterfly on a wheel? This is just some simple drag handler
> magic.

Even if it's a UI change, we are still days away from a code freeze. The
UI freeze is not just for documenters. It also encourages stability and
provides enough feedback on changes.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com