Re: Planner-list GConf

Alexandre and list;

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 9:42 AM Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 4:12 PM Jeremiah C. Foster via planner-list
<planner-list gnome org> wrote:
> I don't know if planner is actively maintained in GNOME or if it has an invdividual directly working on it.

I am the current maintainer of Planner, but I am not actively working
on it. The current state has been explained many times already and
hasn’t changed. Planner needs to be ported to GTK 3 and for that a new
timeline widget needs to be written because libgnomecanvas is
deprecated (and it would be a bad idea to just copy its code into our
tree). It is a daunting task. Some people have showed interested but
all have vanished. Waiting for GTK 4 and rewriting the UI is arguably
a less daunting task (and the current path I’m on).

Not to start a flame war (nor even a flame battle) and perhaps this does belong on the developer list; but the maintainer of Xournal has this to say about "deprecated libgnomecanvas":

Debian is completely off its rocker... The issue is not with GTK2 (not
deprecated, fortunately given that even GIMP hasn't managed to migrate
to GTK3 yet), but rather with the canvas widget for GTK2,
libgnomecanvas, which they have declared deprecated because its name is
part of a series of libraries that are mostly obsolete. The problem is
that there isn't a good replacement.

libgnomecanvas is not related to libgnome in any way despite the name.
It provides a high-performance canvas widget for GTK2, it is the
standard canvas widget for GTK2. There is no good replacement for GTK3.
I am not aware of any serious issues with it apart from it being old.

The two GTK3 canvases that aim to provide something similar to
libgnomecanvas, foocanvas/geocanvas and goocanvas, are not so
well-maintained, not as well-optimized, and not as standard as
libgnomecanvas. I don't want to invest a lot of effort into switching
to one just to have Debian declare it deprecated the following year.

The official Debian line that libgnomecanvas is deprecated in favor of
cairo is nonsense since the two don't offer equivalent functionality --
it's impossible to port libgnomecanvas software to rely only on cairo
and the cairo ecosystem.

Please consider un-deprecating libgnomecanvas. Despite the lack of
active development, it is a useful library, has no security issues that
I am aware of, and software that people want to use depends on it.

Perhaps this is why developers who have looked at the concept of moving to GTK 3 have dropped the idea...?

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.