Re: Planner-list predecessors for fixed date tasks

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 23:08 +0100, Ricardo Fernandez wrote:
> Hello Pete,
>
> I'm not sure to understand, but my comment could help.
>
> if you have a "Deadline" task  for a part of your project (including,
> for exemple, task A)
>  - you can set "Deadline" task as a fixed date milestone
>  - of course you can't set any predecessor for this fixed date task
>  - so you can't set A as predecessor (for example "end to start" link)
> for "Deadline" task, but...
>  - you can set "Deadline" task as predecessor (same example ; "start
> to end" link) of A

Correct.  The way to set up this relationship is to edit your task A and
set up the deadline as a predecessor with a 'SF' relationship.  Task A
will then be scheduled so that it ends just prior to the deadline task.

> limits for this example :
>  - even if A is an "as soon as possible" task, it will be scheduled to
> "the last moment" before "Deadline". why ? we just wan't it to become
> a "not after" task.

ASAP just means that the task start date will float based on predecessor
relationships.  Planner schedules all tasks (without assigned resources)
assuming that a single resource will work at 100% capacity for the
duration, and sets the start and end dates accordingly.  If you want to
change the start date on a task with a 'SF' relationship, you should
assign a resource and adjust the resource units to something less than
100%.

>  - you can't anticipate A setting it to fixed date (today for
> example). why ?

see above

>  - you can't set any other predecessor to A (a current task ending
> tomorrow, linked "end to start", for example), even if A has been
> scheduled on next year. why ?

Well, if you've set the finish date for task A with a SF or FF
relationship, then we need to let the start date float in order for the
scheduling algorithm to work.

If you created a task B, you could set task A as a predecessor with a SF
or FF relationship.  In this way, you're essentially scheduling from the
deadline back to the present day.