Re: [Planner] Are fixed duration tasks really fixed?

Xavier Ordoquy wrote:
On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 08:08, Bjorn Andersson wrote:

The duration field seems to take into account working hours. I think it
would be more natural if duration was really the amount of calendar time
required to complete the task regardless of working hours. For example
if I mark the task to have a fixed duration of 6 days, then I expect it
to be 6 days long and not 8 if the weekend has non-working days. Or to
take the example from the manual: The gestation period for a human baby
is nine months. It cannot be delayed by adding non-working days or
hours.

Hopyfully baby gestation doesn't have non working days.
If a task needs 6 working days, it'll be a full week and a day. That's
the behaviour I would expect. I'm really missing your point here.

The issue is the proper representation of the nature of the task at hand.  In case of a pregnant woman, her schedule is a continuous 24/7 for 9 months.   Planner can accommodate these requirements.  Just create a special calendar that has 7 working days in a week and 24 working hours in a day.  Then allocate a single resource (a woman) to the task.  Alternatively, this could be approximated with a standard calendar by mapping the continous nine month effort into a set of weekly chunks.
Regards,
Xavier Ordoquy.