Re: [Planner] Re: Planner Digest, Vol 8, Issue 5

Hi!

El lun, 14-06-2004 a las 12:22, Ron Tidd escribió:
> Looking much better!
>
> I have a couple questions/requests though.
> I set up a postgres DB to use the save to DB.
> Save works the first time.
> Save adds another instance (id) for each subsequent save.
> Open from database kills planner.

Yes, this is a bug that has appeared in last versions I think with the
migration from libpq to libplanner, but I am not sure. I need to check
it. But this is a known bug and will be solved before 1.0.

> I assume that will be fixed shortly however.

Sure! ;-)

> I am running planner 0.11
>
> Here however is my wish list...
> I would love to use planner at work.
> I need the ability for multiple PM's to update to a central DB.

Yes, this is something we have in mind in planner development. For
example, a resource (a person) can access planner central database and
access to her projects and feedback how tasks are going.

> I need (and am willing to code) a web interface for reporting purposes,
> and for the programmers/etc to update the status of a task (as in
> additional notes and % complete.)

Great! This is idea is the same we have being talking about last weeks.
How do you plan to develop the web interface? In the past Richard and
Micke have coded a Java web interface to planner XML files I think.
Maybe PHP could be a good approach, not sure.

> It would be very cool if the PM had a version ID for each element stored
> in planner.  Then when saving the days changes back to the DB a
> mechanism would automatically merge the saved changes into the DB, load
> the already saved changes for task status and other sections modified by
> other PMs, and finally prompt the PM on items that contain updates on
> the same element. (A simple dialog for Overwrite DB/ Overwrite local
> data / Edit info before overwriting  would work wonders here)

Hmmm, this sounds more complex to implement, but we will need something
like that so when we fix the database code, we will need to start
thinking in this kind of issues. For example, this scheme needs user
identification.

> If versioning of elements can be added, planner blows away the
> competition.  Imagine having a web I/F for people to check status.  For
> those that are assigned tasks to be able to add notes and update status
> on a task, and multiple PMs allowed to work on (separate?) parts of a
> bigger project...  Then this becomes a killer ap that justifies
> purchasing a system that supports planner.

A nice dream? I feel we will end coding something like that so if it is
so killer the world domination it is around the corner (just kidding!)
Seriously, I think we will code something like that.

Cheers

-- Alvaro