Re: [Planner] Resource dependencies

Xavier Ordoquy wrote:
> Well, again I'm not sure this is that easy.

Me neither! I think any form of automated resource levelling will be extremely complicated, and at best only give a rough schedule that the Project Manager can start from and work with.

In practice I have only ever used the resource scheduling in Project Workbench (PMW) from Niku. Even though it's very sophisticated with the features such as front or back loading the effort, it frequently did strange things that would have to be manually corrected.

I would favour the toolkit approach as the PM will always have to manually intervene in any automated schedule and anything that would make this easier would be better. Such things as moving tasks, reallocating resources and seeing the totals allocations per resource by period.

PMW used a different model and maintained effort and duration separately - it didn't (at the time) have percentage allocation. For instance, imagine you had 2 6-hour tasks both allocated to the same resource. PMW would allocated 6 hours of task 1 and 2 hours of task 2 on day 1 and the remaining 4 hours of task 2 on day 2.

Although I prefer this method to percent allocations, I would suppose that it would be a big change for Planner to adopt this model.

Regards,
Steve