Re: making a release

On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 0:35 AM, Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 7:45 PM, noskcaJ leahciM
<JACKSON encompasserve org> wrote:

Both of your messages were stuck in moderation with the stated reason
that the sender was not subscribed to the list. You may be subscribed
with a different address, or actually not subscribed at all.

Habitually I quote the domain as DECUS as it answers to both but forgot
mailman would see it as encompasserve.

I was not aware of a desktop OS from Oracle. Do you have a link to
more info? Perhaps even a searchable database of the packages (and
versions) they provide?

A short overview is here: https://community.oracle.com/docs/DOC-996946

The searchable database of packages (with versions they provide) is at:

http://pkg.oracle.com/solaris/release/en/search.shtml?token=planner&action=Search

Just a reminder that this is a list for developers. There is another
one for non developement discussions.

So while not abandonned (which unmaintained usually means) it is
correct to say that it is not very actively maintained.

I would like to repudiate Oracle's claim that
it is not being maintained and so ask them to reverse their recent
decision to remove it.

Well that is sad but I understand and respect their decision.

The version that had been being shipped by Oracle until earlier this
year, was Planner 0.14.4

That version is very old, even by our standards. It's 8 years old, we
since had 0.14.5 (6 years ago) and 0.14.6 (5 years ago). Granted
there's been no release on our side for 5 years, but Oracle seems to
be to blame too here.

So I'm now confused as to what your position is: Respect for Oracle
for having pulled an 8-year old "not very actively maintained" FOSS
package; or blame of Oracle for, instead, not having replaced with
a more recent release, *tha* version of Planner in their desktop
incorporation that is "very old, even by our standards."