Re: making a release

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 7:45 PM, noskcaJ leahciM
<JACKSON encompasserve org> wrote:
Andrew, as a very recent subscriber to the list

Both of your messages were stuck in moderation with the stated reason
that the sender was not subscribed to the list. You may be subscribed
with a different address, or actually not subscribed at all.

Oracle recently pulled Planner from the desktop version of their OS on the
basis that Planner, as a FOSS package, is no-longer maintained.

I was not aware of a desktop OS from Oracle. Do you have a link to
more info? Perhaps even a searchable database of the packages (and
versions) they provide?

Planner has saved my bacon, period.  I can't pretend to understand or have
any experience with Bugzilla or Git, so much of the exchanges went over my
head.

Just a reminder that this is a list for developers. There is another
one for non developement discussions.

So, for the avoidance of doubt, will you or other GNOME developer
contributors, please clarify whether Planner is or is not being actively
maintained.

I already stated it recently but here it is again:
I think the correct adjective currently is dormant. There is a lot to
do to bring the project back to a good shape and some of it is quite
difficult to do.

So while not abandonned (which unmaintained usually means) it is
correct to say that it is not very actively maintained.

 If it is, and given how much we pay for a support contract
from Oracle for their OS, I would like to repudiate Oracle's claim that
it is not being maintained and so ask them to reverse their recent
decision to remove it.  (Understand that this means that when Customers
apply Oracle's monthly updates, Planner gets deleted from disk).

Well that is sad but I understand and respect their decision.

The version that had been being shipped by Oracle until earlier this
year, was Planner 0.14.4

That version is very old, even by our standards. It’s 8 years old, we
since had 0.14.5 (6 years ago) and 0.14.6 (5 years ago). Granted
there’s been no release on our side for 5 years, but Oracle seems to
be to blame too here.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director