Re: Shall we use SVG to draw Gantt Charts?

On Wed, 2017-05-03 at 09:07 +0200, Alexandre Franke wrote:
On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 3:45 AM, Alexánder Alzate Olaya via
planner-dev-list <planner-dev-list gnome org> wrote:
Hi all,

Hi,

Hi

I was wondering if it's too difficult to use SVG (a la Dia) to draw
the
Gantt Chart instead of using widgets. IMHO this way is easiest to
export the chart without worrying about the final result.

What makes you think Dia uses SVG?

Sorry, I was wrong, Dia uses SVG just for shapes importing.

SVG is just a serialisation format (i.e. a way to load/save data).

I cannot agree with that, Scalable Vector Graphics are meant to be
scalable.

SVG is not magic and just because you use it as a format doesn’t mean
it will automatically be drawn.

Of course, we need a SVG drawing library to do so.

SVG is also meant for drawings and the Gantt chart in Planner is way
more than that. It is an interactive representation of data. You can
drag the ends of tasks to make them longer, you can drag and drop
from a task to an other to define a dependency… You *need* a widget
to handle that kind of things. The question is whether you have one
big widget (what we have currently) that handles everything, or if
you split that work accross smaller components, each of which would
be widgets.

What I like about SVG is that you can script the drawing making it
interactive, you can even store data in object's properties, you can
modify shapes properties and so on. Actually, there are bunch of web
games based on SVG + JS.

All this SVG thing comes from the fact that libgnomecanvas needs to be
replaced into the project and IMHO SVG could be a good alternative.