Git workflow (was: Re: Planner xml field additions)

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 10:37:57PM -0400, Kurt Maute wrote:
> > As the transition to git is nearby, maybe this is a good time to reflect
> > on the way we have been working. Branching, or rather merging, in
> > subversion is not really an option but with git it may make some things
> > easier.
>
> > I don't have much experience with git or similar tools, but the idea of
> > topic branches does sound attractive. Also if we would like to postpone
> > the inclusion of file format changes, we could keep them in their own
> > branch and we as developers/contributors would still be able to
> > collaborate on them.
>
> Yeah, I've heard Git is far more flexible, but haven't used it either
> except to download a few plugins.  I'll have to play with it a bit.

I propose we talk a bit about how we plan to use git, because there are
so many ways to use it.

My own preference would be to keep the master branch in a state that can
be released at any time. This means no file format changes and no
partial features. Topic branches would be used for features that people
need to collaborate on, for features that are so much work that
in-between commits would be useful and for intrusive things that break
compatibility.

Now the thing that I'm not yet fully clear about is the merge strategy.
Do we just merge all changes from a topic branch to master (the easy
way) or do we want to clean stuff up before merging. Although it might
seem that rebasing is perfect for the latter, it is highly discouraged
to rebase branches that people have branched from. I sorta get the
feeling that it's more trouble than it's worth, but I would like to
find out how kernel developers deal with this. I would think that they
collaborate on something before (and possibly after) making a clean
branch to pull from for Linus.

I realize that I'm a git newb, so any input or suggestions for a way of
working are appreciated.

Thanks,
Maurice.

--