Resource allocation behaviour

Hi all,

I know I went a bit quiet with the resource levelling work, but I hope to send patches to this list within the next couple of days which will introduce an option on a planner project to choose whether or not to switch on resource allocation checking, and if on, choose which of any number of algorithms to use for the project.

At the moment I only have the simplest 'do not allow resource overloading' algorithm in place, but there are plenty of ideas on the bugzilla for others which I intend to implement.

For today, however, I would like to ask for advice/discussion. The option I mention above needs adding to the mrp-project data schema, and I would also like to extend the mrp-resource data schema with a 'maximum allocatable units' field definable on each resource.

First, is there a review process for changing the planner data schema?

Secondly, are there any gotchas or lessons learned that anyone can think of which I should be aware of regarding making such changes?

- I know there is the regular XML and database support/data translation to take into account for saving data which has been input under the new schema, and that I will have to update and release tag the sql database structure dump which is bundled with the source

- I know will have to impose a default for the new data fields when loading planner files which have been saved under older schemas (following the principle of least surprise, 100 for resource usage and 'ignore overloading' for the project allocation behaviour field)

Have I missed any other formats or conversions? Has anyone else added things to the schema and been tripped up by anything I should be aware of? My work so far has been on a completely different section of the code, I haven't really been near the project load and save routines yet, so any hints will be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any comments,
lee