Re: Resource allocation behaviour

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 03:35:43PM +0000, Lee Baylis wrote:
> I know I went a bit quiet with the resource levelling work, but I hope to
> send patches to this list within the next couple of days which will
> introduce an option on a planner project to choose whether or not to switch
> on resource allocation checking, and if on, choose which of any number of
> algorithms to use for the project.

It's good to hear you're still working on this.

> At the moment I only have the simplest 'do not allow resource overloading'
> algorithm in place, but there are plenty of ideas on the bugzilla for
> others which I intend to implement.

Do send the simple version you have to the list, because I don't want
you to do a lot of rework if it is reviewed only after you have put in
an awful lot of time.

> For today, however, I would like to ask for advice/discussion. The option I
> mention above needs adding to the mrp-project data schema, and I would also
> like to extend the mrp-resource data schema with a 'maximum allocatable
> units' field definable on each resource.
>
> First, is there a review process for changing the planner data schema?

It is the same as for any code contribution. Send a message to the list
with (a reference to) a patch.

In fact I would have liked to have had some updates on the approach you
have taken to implement this. We have not been able to suggest issues
with the approach or come to an (informal) spec.

Also I don't know if you have had any technical conversations with John
about this, but it's probably good to keep the list on the CC on those
as well.

> Secondly, are there any gotchas or lessons learned that anyone can think of
> which I should be aware of regarding making such changes?
>
> - I know there is the regular XML and database support/data translation to
> take into account for saving data which has been input under the new
> schema, and that I will have to update and release tag the sql database
> structure dump which is bundled with the source
>
> - I know will have to impose a default for the new data fields when loading
> planner files which have been saved under older schemas (following the
> principle of least surprise, 100 for resource usage and 'ignore
> overloading' for the project allocation behaviour field)

I have mentioned before on this list that I would like to limit
file/database format changes to as few releases as possible.
A few possible options are then:

- implementing as much as possible of the other features that also need
  changes and only release a new version when all of it has been
  included.

- first spend time on getting a release out with a lot of the
  regular bugfixes/features that don't require format changes.
  Then add your work to SVN and focus on the change-requiring features
  as above.

- implementing this feature in a way that people can turn it off and get
  back the old formats

I'm not sure which is best. I don't like the last one all that much, but
with limited resources the first two will be difficult.

> Have I missed any other formats or conversions? Has anyone else added
> things to the schema and been tripped up by anything I should be aware of?
> My work so far has been on a completely different section of the code, I
> haven't really been near the project load and save routines yet, so any
> hints will be gratefully appreciated!

I have a patch for the sql code in the works, so if you can hold off
modifying that for a while it'll save you some merge work. When you're
being blocked by this, let me know so I can prioritize getting the
changes in.

Regards,
Maurice.

--