Planner roadmap

Hi guys,

Let's define a roadmap for planner and make more concrete plans for
coming releases.

The way I see it we need at least a 0.14.3 release containing all small
stuff we can fix/implement within limited time and then a later version
(0.15?) containing more intrusive changes/major features.

0.14.3
------
The only thing I still want to fix for 0.14.3 is:
* bug #439180 - default to long names in HTML gantt (I have a patch
  ready, different from the one attached to the bug, just gotta check
  it in)

Feel free to suggest other bugs for which the fix is either known or
easy to determine, and not much work.

I'm not sure if I want to include a fix for the following problem in
0.14.3:
* bug #382548 - undo crash

It looks like it will require a rewrite of the dependency graph code in
mrp-task-manager.c. See this thread for details:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/planner-dev-list/2008-January/msg00000.html
If this rewrite proves to be too complicated, it will be postponed to the
later version.

later version
-------------
* Resource leveling. Kurt, can a simple version of this be included in
  0.14.3 or is it too much effort for the short term? Do you think
  resource leveling (incl future versions) would require any file format
  changes?

* One feature I would like to include is the option of tracking progress
  in hours instead of a percentage. That could use a change in the file
  format, but if needed I can implement it first with the old format.
  The effect of that will be that sometimes when you read back a file,
  the progress in hours has changed a bit since the last save.

* Printing support needs to be rewritten to use the GTK+ printing API
  instead of libgnomeprint. This will fix several bugs at once.

* I would really like our tables to be more easily editable, with
  navigation and editing similar to spreadsheets. It looks like a
  non-trivial task for someone who knows as little about GTK as I do.

* We should make building Planner on Windows with up-to-date libraries
  easier.

It would be nice to get a list of things that require file format
changes, so we can select a subset to implement and release them
together in order to minimize the number of different file formats.

Once again, if there are any bugs you think should go into 0.14.3, now
would be the time to bring them to our attention.

Maurice.

--
Maurice van der Pot

Gentoo Linux Developer   griffon26 gentoo org    http://www.gentoo.org