Re: Planner roadmap

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 22:51 +0100, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Let's define a roadmap for planner and make more concrete plans for
> coming releases.
>
> The way I see it we need at least a 0.14.3 release containing all small
> stuff we can fix/implement within limited time and then a later version
> (0.15?) containing more intrusive changes/major features.
>

> 0.14.3
> ------
> The only thing I still want to fix for 0.14.3 is:
> * bug #439180 - default to long names in HTML gantt (I have a patch
>   ready, different from the one attached to the bug, just gotta check
>   it in)
>
> Feel free to suggest other bugs for which the fix is either known or
> easy to determine, and not much work.

I'll be ready to commit the % Complete column patch per bug # 379975
after a bit more testing.

I'm going to apply it but it reminds me of the fact that summary tasks
don't roll up the % complete from their child tasks.  I'll look into
what it takes to do this, and if its a great big effort, we can put this
off till the next version.

> I'm not sure if I want to include a fix for the following problem in
> 0.14.3:
> * bug #382548 - undo crash
>
> It looks like it will require a rewrite of the dependency graph code in
> mrp-task-manager.c. See this thread for details:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/planner-dev-list/2008-January/msg00000.html
> If this rewrite proves to be too complicated, it will be postponed to the
> later version.
>

> later version
> -------------
> * Resource leveling. Kurt, can a simple version of this be included in
>   0.14.3 or is it too much effort for the short term? Do you think
>   resource leveling (incl future versions) would require any file format
>   changes?

Last time I started working on this I got sucked into a swirling vortex
of doom.  I'll revisit it.  Maybe there's a way I wasn't considering
before.

> * One feature I would like to include is the option of tracking progress
>   in hours instead of a percentage. That could use a change in the file
>   format, but if needed I can implement it first with the old format.
>   The effect of that will be that sometimes when you read back a file,
>   the progress in hours has changed a bit since the last save.
>
> * Printing support needs to be rewritten to use the GTK+ printing API
>   instead of libgnomeprint. This will fix several bugs at once.

This should improve printing the windows port as well.

> * I would really like our tables to be more easily editable, with
>   navigation and editing similar to spreadsheets. It looks like a
>   non-trivial task for someone who knows as little about GTK as I do.
>
> * We should make building Planner on Windows with up-to-date libraries
>   easier.
>

> It would be nice to get a list of things that require file format
> changes, so we can select a subset to implement and release them
> together in order to minimize the number of different file formats.

I want to add a unique id to each task, either by adding a field or
using the current id field and locking it so each task gets the same id
each time it gets saved. #334086

--
Kurt Maute <Kurt Maute us>