Re: [Planner Dev] Developing reference planners files to help regression test planner - my ideas on this.

Perhaps I'm being picky and tell me so - I won't be offended,
but a Project PLAN is a collection of documents, a project SCHEDULE is just one of those documents (albeit an important one!).

Is Planner a schedule building tool? If so, it is a project modeling tool.

(George Box (a mathematician) said "All models are lies, some models are useful.")

So lets call these testing Plans Benchmarking Models. Each time a new version of Planner is released, we the developer community, must verify that the tool works as expected with each of the benchmarking models. As new features are added or old features change, new benchmarking models can be developed (or old ones can be expanded.

So, for example, we'll have Kurt's benchmarking model "Kitchen Remodel" - his model will contain list of activities, deliverables, series of keystrokes/data entry, menu selections, calculations etc.

Your thoughts?
Mark

BTW, I'm slowwwwly getting to the point of actually helping on the development -and I'm bubbling with ideas - sadly, work comes before pleasure :-)

At 09:00 AM 3/29/2004, Kurt Maute wrote:
On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 16:42, Richard Hult wrote:
> On fre, 2004-03-26 at 20:13 +0000, lincoln phipps openmutual net wrote:
> > I want to create a number of reference project plans to
> > add to the Planner CVS. These will be used for,
>
> A good idea! :)

I like it too.  I have a sample project plan that I created for my own
testing purposes... its a kitchen remodel.  With a bit of cleanup it
could be useful as either a small or moderate project as you've
described them.

> It would also be good to use in the user guide. If we do translated
> versions, the translated user guides could benefit from that as well.

Yes.  I've been thinking the same thing.  The samples using tasks t1,
t2, t3, etc. while quick and easy to generate, don't go very far to help
the user like a real world example would.

I'm considering using snapshots from this kitchen project instead since
it seems like the sort of thing that should be understood universally
(or nearly so) rather than something software or IT specific that might
be lost on a portion of our audience.

--
Kurt Maute <Kurt Maute us>