Re: [Planner Dev] MSP2Planner

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 08:16, Richard Hult wrote:
> On ons, 2004-08-11 at 17:21 -0400, Kurt Maute wrote:
> > Here's a summary of what's implemented:
> > * Project Info
> > * Tasks
> > * Constraints
> > * Resources
> > * Allocations
> >
> > What's not:
> > * Properties
> > * Phases
> > * Calendars
> > * Resource Groups
>
> Do these items (except calendars I guess) look feasible to convert, or
> are they done very differently?

Ok, here's the scoop:

Properties:  I tried creating some custom properties on the MSP side, but they weren't included in the msp.xml file when I saved it, so that one's out.

Phases:  MSP doesn't seem to have an equivalent.

Resource Groups:  Exist but the value in converting is dubious given the level of effort needed.
MSP offers nothing more than a text field on the resource to denote the group, and group names aren't stored anywhere but on the individual resources, so we'd be trying to do a many to one conversion (similar to the calendar day type issue), which is difficult to do with xslt.
After some digging, it looks like it could be done by using a variable to hold a result tree fragment describing the groups, and then use the node-set() function to allow a lookup when associating the resources with the groups (since planner does it by number, not by name).  The catch is that node-set() is part of the exslt extension set, and I'm not sure if libxsl can handle that.
So bottom line on this one is I'd like to get what we've got integrated into planner and then I can play around with Resource Groups and Calendars and see if it doesn't break.

--
Kurt Maute <kurt maute us>