Re: [Planner Dev] The link tasks dialog - screenshot.

Mikael Hallendal wrote:
On tis, 2004-04-13 at 13:49 +0100, Lincoln Phipps wrote:

This approach will need more thinking and I'm not sure it's the best
idea but I feel that the dialog is too complex to be brought up
everytime you try to link two tasks. Especially since it contains logic
so you have to give it thought everytime it's shown.

This does sound more complicated than my simple dialog box. I think
what I'll do is remove the "cascade/fanout/fanin" options when you
click just two tasks and reword upwards/downwards to be more
descriptive as you've mentioned.

I was thinking some more on this and I don't think that this is
something that we should consider for 1.0 anyway. So for 1.0 I think the
best way is to just consider using a dialog.
What I'm thinking about with that is, is there an action that is going
to be done 90% of the time while 10% of the time you want to actually
change the behaviour? Like, will most people only use the current way of
doing it without setting lag and other link properties? If so, perhaps
we should just add another way of saying "Link..." which will bring up
the dialog and otherwise just keep the simple one?

My link button was always intended to have a reasonably complete
dialog attached to it as opposed to a simple "canned" pre-set of options.

When I created the link button  it had little because I didn't
know enough GNOME to make it do more :)

You may be right - maybe I keep the link button (with its canned
FS/0d/cascade/downwards settings) as it is and have an new entry
of Action->Advanced Link... option ?

The way I expected the workflow to take place was the Project manager
entered in all the project tasks under suitable summary headings
and with suitable milestones. They then entered in the task links.

I expect this to be done by, for example, clicking/control-clicking selected tasks in the gantt/task view and then clicking the Link button and then entering in the appropriate settings based on how they
expected the tasks to relate to each other and did OK.

Fine tuning of the project would be done by e.g. clicking tasks
and selecting Action->Edit Dialogs...->Predecessor page and
having the many task dialogs (1 per selected task) open on the
right page in the edit dialog (this is the new multi-dialog patch
I emailed recently).

On small project -you won't really get much gain but on large
projects with lots of tasks, then these could be linked together reasonably quickly, e.g. if a milestone has 5 thats that are
FS predecessor to it then (assuming that they are organised up
or down the WBS OK then you should be able to ctrl/click the 5 tasks
and the milestone, click Link button, choose the Fan-in, keep lag at
 "0d" and  click OK. Thats easy and I feel has little chance
of error once project manager understand the options - so
really I need to think clearer about the dialog radiobutton
descriptions - maybe ICONs to show what the result look like ?

Planner will be serving a number of different end users from
people doing simple stuff so maybe the Action->Advanced Link"
is the way we hide complexity.

Lincoln.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal