Re: [Planner Dev] Roadmap for 1.0

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 18:48, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 10:31, Richard Hult wrote:
> >       * Usability improvements to the gantt chart (move tasks with the
> >         mouse, context-menu for gantt bars, etc
>
> Along similar lines: I seem to regularly need to edit something via the
> tasks menu and it would be nice that when I flip back to the Gantt view
> if the highlighted item was the one I have highlighted in the Tasks
> view. To me this seems logical -- highlighting the same data element in
> both views. Do other people have strong feelings?

Sounds like a nice enhancement to me!
Another usability enhancement would be to implement tabbing from one
field to the next in a task.  When I click 'insert', I need to also
click in the task name field (and each other field I want to change).
The 'insert' button should leave the user in the name field of the new
task - ready to start typing, and then move on to the next column by
pressing the tab key.  IMHO, this would be more convenient.

> >       * Other export/import filters? Gnumeric comes to mind, and simple
> >         CSV text export
>
> Are there any standards in this area that people know about? What I am
> asking is whether the existing spreadsheet export stylesheet just uses a
> style that looks reasonable, or are we emulating something that exists
> in Microsoft Project or another tool?

If it would be helpful, I could provide some examples of MSP export
formats.

> >       * Finish the "Time table view" (we need a better name), displays a
> >         resource centric gantt like chart, Xavier has started looking at
> >         this
>
> "Resource utilisation" sounds nearly as bad, but that is what I kept
> thinking of it as when this was originally being worked on. "Resource
> usage", maybe? "Resource scheduling"?

I don't recall that I ever got a chance to take a good look at the time
table view, but I'm thinking that if it looks like a gantt, then maybe
we should call it a 'Resource Gantt'?

Just for reference on this one, I posted some screen shots of the
various MSP resource views.  They call them 'Resource Graph', 'Resource
Sheet', and 'Resource Usage'.  http://www.maute.us/planner/mspexamples

--
Kurt Maute <Kurt Maute us>