Re: GtkPerf data for GTK+ 2.6 vs GTK+ 2.10 vs Maemo-GTK+ 2.6 (on a Nokia 770)

2006/7/21, Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com>:
On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 11:43 +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> I'm planning on running it with other theme engines too of course.

It would be good to know how other them engines behave on the 770.

Absolutely, so that's why I grabbed the gtk-engines 2.6.9 package
(oldish, yes, but I needed to compile for GTK+ 2.6 too so...) and ran
the (admittedly limited set of) GtkPerf tests with 8 of them (all or
at least almost all of them?). Compiled with vanilla 2.6 and 2.10 and
the maemo-GTK+.

So when you add the three builtin theme runs and one with the sapwood
engine, you get a total of 28 different theme/GTK+ setups, all of them
with 14 results plus a total time spent.

Needless to say, that spells "a lot of data". In fact, it seems to be
a bit too much to show in one chart in any reasonable way. I have
tried to think of a better way to show the data, but failed so I'll
just post the huge all-in-one chart and let anyone interested to cut
the interesting pieces to more reasonable ones from the .gnumeric :)

There is some very interesting results there (read: bad performance),
and once I get the sysprof properly running on 770 I'll hopefully be
wiser on the "why":s too.

Some notes on the chart:

- The results are relative to vanilla GTK+ 2.6 builtin theme (the
scale was too large for absolute numbers)
- The thick line is "1" as in "in par with GTK+ 2.6 builtin theme"
- Anything over the line is BAD and under the line is GOOD

- Relative numerical data is on the second tab in the .gnumeric
- Raw figures are in the third tab, in seconds as the GtkPerf reported them

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi