Re: Fixed point cairo.. or no cairo?

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 10:46 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 18:01:27 +0300, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> >
> > > Has this approach been evaluated at all yet? It seems you should be
> > > able to re-purpose a bunch of the work you've been doing already to
> > > apply to an approach like this.
> >
> > cairo_fixed_from_double() already accounts for 5% of the cairo
> > profile :(
>
> But that should be easy to get rid of---and we've had various patches
> for that in the past.
>
> I did say when I originally floated this plan that obviously we
> wouldn't use the slow conversion code we have in place now.
>
> I'm planning to put new fixed<->floating-point conversion code into
> cairo this week.

Ok, that sounds great!
If this works out nicely, the main remaining problem for at least font
rendering are the transformations using cairo-matrix. What would you
suggest here? Using fixed point matrices internally (for which we'd
still need two different cairo-matrix implementations), or having
cairo-matrix convert doubles to ints before performing any calculations?

Jorn

--
OpenedHand Ltd.
http://o-hand.com/