Re: Adding Avahi and USB drive support to libostree

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 11:06 AM, Philip Withnall wrote:

I think I’m going to put a branch together which adds a new URI scheme
to libostree, of the form ‘ostree-gpg:ABC123’, where ABC123 is the GPG
key ID for the repository to pull from. Resolving this URI would look
for remotes which use that key...

Eeek.  I'm not saying it's fundamentally wrong, maybe we end up there, but I'd like
to explore other solutions a bit more.   The GPG approach 🗝 feels...complex.  It's linking
together in a non-obvious way two concepts in ostree which were previously
completely orthogonal.

The other problem related to this solution is that of key rotation.

Yeah, among others.

Let me strawman this:  To fetch a given ref from a remote, we proceed
as today and resolve ref -> commit hash.  Then, we automatically
try to fetch that commit from any locally mounted media (cheap).
If that fails, we use network heuristics - try to fetch from local Avahi
sources.  This could maybe be implemented today by simply
prepending them to a locally-generated mirrorlist, with the canonical
upstream last.