Re: Adding Avahi and USB drive support to libostree

On Fri, 2017-03-17 at 09:21 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 12:55 PM, Philip Withnall wrote:
The format would need
to scale to multiple repositories (for example, if a machine used
OSTree for the OS, and flatpak for apps). Any machines on the local
network which advertise repositories matching the local
repository’s
canonical remote URI,

Maybe instead we should have a UUID field in repositories in the
repo/config?
We could easily change `ostree init` to generate one.
(Although it'd be prone to being copied if people used `rsync`)

Talking to Alex today, this is something which could potentially cause
problems with flatpak, even if we found some way of determining
equivalence classes between remotes: flatpak only allows app updates
from the same named remote (not even a differently named remote with
the same URI).

I assume this could be changed in flatpak, but it’s something we should
think about first. Again, it comes down to the question of how we
determine whether two remotes should be considered equivalent, such
that pulling from either one of them to a local repository would be
acceptable.

We could do it on the basis of GPG keys, given that each organisation
should have a different GPG key. But then we’d want to use another
property as well, because one organisation might have multiple classes
of repository. For example, Endless might sign both its flatpak and OS
repositories with the same GPG key — but we wouldn’t want to try and
pull from the OS repository on a network peer into our local flatpak
repository.

Philip