/home and /root handling

In https://developer.gnome.org/ostree/stable/layout.html, it's
suggested that /home be a symlink to /var/home, which is then a
symlink to /sysroot/home, and that /root be a symlink to
/var/roothome.

It seems to me like it would be simpler to just have /home be a
symlink to /sysroot/home and /root be a symlink to /sysroot/root. Both
directories are created by "ostree admin init-fs" and /sysroot is the
persistent system wide path. Both /sysroot and /var require special
bind mounts, so it's not like one or the other is safer in the event
of failures.

Is there something I'm missing? Also, why is the double symlink /home
-> /var/home -> ../sysroot/home suggested?

--
Dan Nicholson  |  +1.206.437.0833  |  Endless