Re: /home and /root handling

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 12:27 PM, Dan Nicholson wrote:
In https://developer.gnome.org/ostree/stable/layout.html, it's
suggested that /home be a symlink to /var/home, which is then a
symlink to /sysroot/home, and that /root be a symlink to
/var/roothome.

It seems to me like it would be simpler to just have /home be a
symlink to /sysroot/home and /root be a symlink to /sysroot/root. Both
directories are created by "ostree admin init-fs" and /sysroot is the
persistent system wide path. Both /sysroot and /var require special
bind mounts, so it's not like one or the other is safer in the event
of failures.

Obviously a lot of this is (and should be) flexible.  That said I personally
like the idea that all state is underneath /var.  It's a simple and easy story
to tell.

See also: https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/1265
With your suggestions we couldn't easily make `/sysroot` read-only.
And I'd like to move `/tmp` to something like `/var/tmp/tmpfs` or something?

Is there something I'm missing? Also, why is the double symlink /home
-> /var/home -> ../sysroot/home suggested?

I don't recall exactly, I think the idea was to make it configurable.