Re: Fwd: wip/new-model review

On Sat, 2013-07-20 at 14:36 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:

Uh, well, not really. The build process takes inputs: snapshot.json,
last-build/, src/, and produces binaries which are put into repo/,
along with log files, etc. I see "last-build/" as an optimization of
not wasting CPU for things we've already compiled. It's not strictly
necessary, it will just take a lot longer if it's missing.

"last-build" seems strange to me; why not instead have an explicit
caching layer?  Let's say that I want to build both x32 and x86_64
binaries.  With OpenEmbedded/Bitbake, if you do the x32 build, and then
later do a x86_64 build, if you have them share a SSTATE_CACHE, a lot of
the architecture independent work is just pulled from the cache.

With your "last-build" proposal I'd have to arbitrarily pick the x32
build as my "last-build", even though I'm building x86_64.

I was kind of going in the direction of having something sstate like
with the cache/ directory.

It might seem a bit insensitive to say this, but I really don't care
what the high-level UI is. We can figure out if we want a git-like one
based off of the CWD, or one based on command line arguments, or
config files, or envvars later.

Right...but the thing is it's going to be hard to merge this until
it's in a state where we have a functioning autobuilder *and* I can test
stuff locally.

Will respond to the rest in a bit.