Re: Fwd: wip/new-model review

On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 20:16 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:

The big question is how we share this information. Up until new-model,
it's been shared across the entire system in this thing called
"jsondb",

Yes...and repo/ and cache/.  Plus src/.

  $ ostbuild test builds/glib-testing-build/

Would this command log to stdout?  Or would it log to
builds/glib-testing-build/integrationtest/ ?  If the latter would it
delete any previous logs there?

We, of course, probably wouldn't shut off access to things like
"run-task" meaning you could build custom things if you wanted to,

Right.  I think we're going to of necessity have two layers:

1) A layer that knows how to run "tasks" in a subprocess (recursively),
   and handles logging to file(s).  Ideally the latter is something
   systemd journal like.
2) A layer that knows about builds.

 but overall I feel better focusing on making the high-level workflows
better, rather than knowing that you have to skip the zdisks pass for
speed.

I agree with that goal.  So leaving the trybuilding stuff aside, your
suggestion is basically we have a new toplevel command that does
a specific thing?

$ ostbuild make       # resolve, build
$ ostbuild smoketest  # resolve, build, builddisks, smoketest
$ ostbuild export     # all of it except bdiff

So these developer-focused commands would exclude tasks mostly only
useful for the web UI, like bdiff.  Except I could imagine it being kind
of useful to do that locally...like pull new stuff (e.g. systemd and
glib), look at the changes.  Eh, we can skip that for now.