Re: X session

On Sat, 2012-11-17 at 10:14 -0500, Michael Hill wrote:
> I've been happily pulling gnomeos to F18 for a few days now (often
> enough that I needed the new 'prune' option last night). With help
> from the CommonIssues page I can successfully boot into
> ostree=current, but I don't seem to have an X session.

So this is a regression?  If so, how recently?

> The console 1 messages say Starting gnome-shell and Starting graphical
> interface (?), but besides the login prompts on consoles 2 through 6,
> I get nothing. Do I have to make any allowances for my nvidia card?

Ah, you might be bit by my attempt to rebase on a newer mesa:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-ostree/commit/?id=fb4275836775374ffd89bffec50fd742a90acac8

I haven't tested it on baremetal nVidia hardware at all.  And a large
factor here is the host kernel (sounds like Fedora 18 in your case).

> Should I try the onboard (unaccelerated) Intel video?

Yes, that'd be interesting data.  To be honest I only boot natively on
Intel hardware right now.

You can also try passing "gnome.fallback=1" on the kernel command line
to get the fallback session (but this will shortly be going away...as
soon as I finish getting llvmpipe working).