Some observations

Some observations from trying the current tree:

We need dejavu fonts to get a reasonable monospace font in terminals.
Unfortunately, looks like dejavu is only available in svn. For now,
I've just copied the ttfs into ~/.fonts

My gnome-shell doesn't think NetworkManager is running, even though it is:

Window manager warning: Log level 16:
_nm_remote_settings_ensure_inited: (NMRemoteSettings) error
initializing: Rejected send message, 2 matched rules;
type="method_call", sender=":1.47" (uid=1000 pid=853
comm="/usr/bin/gnome-shell ")
interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="GetAll" error
name="(unset)" requested_reply="0"
destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" (uid=0 pid=976
comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager ")

I remember seeing these warnings before, related to sessions not
getting marked as active, but ck-list-sessions seems to think my
session _is_ active. So not quite sure what is going on here.

There's some more warnings in ~/.cache/gdm/session.log:

(gnome-shell:853): Bluetooth-WARNING **: Could not open RFKILL control
device, please verify your installation

Not sure what this is about.

JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Error invoking
TelepathyGLib.prepare_finish: The name
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.AccountManager was not provided by any
.service files

org.freedesktop.Telepathy.AccountManager  is provided by
telepathy-mission-control, which is not included in the tree

Final observation: I can't get the system to shut down cleanly, reboot
just hangs.