Re: Some observations

On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 22:23 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Some observations from trying the current tree:

It's worth expanding "tree" here; I assume you're referring to
trees/gnomeos-3.6-i686-devel.

> We need dejavu fonts to get a reasonable monospace font in terminals.
> Unfortunately, looks like dejavu is only available in svn. For now,
> I've just copied the ttfs into ~/.fonts

Yeah, I plan to spend not too much time on this sort of "polish" stuff
myself; it's the kind of thing that's a good task for someone who wants
to help, but I need to look at more fundamental issues.

> My gnome-shell doesn't think NetworkManager is running, even though it is:
>
> I remember seeing these warnings before, related to sessions not
> getting marked as active, but ck-list-sessions seems to think my
> session _is_ active. So not quite sure what is going on here.

I fixed this (with
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-ostree/tree/patches/gdm-0006-Add-enable-internal-pam-console-option.patch ) which Ray rightly rejected, I just haven't had a moment to switch to the .d hook.

But I'm not sure it hasn't regressed or there's some other issue here.

> There's some more warnings in ~/.cache/gdm/session.log:
>
> (gnome-shell:853): Bluetooth-WARNING **: Could not open RFKILL control
> device, please verify your installation

Haven't looked.

> org.freedesktop.Telepathy.AccountManager  is provided by
> telepathy-mission-control, which is not included in the tree

Yeah, just needs adding.

> Final observation: I can't get the system to shut down cleanly, reboot
> just hangs.

I pretty much gutted the sysvinit stuff in disgust; this one would get
fixed when switching to systemd.

Anyways what I'm looking at is having a semi-sane story for /etc; it's
the biggest architectural gap at the moment, and it's what I need
to fix so that picking a wireless network actually works.