Re: Installer

Hi,

although we talked at GUADEC, answering here for the sake of
completeness.

On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 10:15 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 01:05 +0300, Andres Gomez wrote:
> > Xan (López) pointed us (Adrián and me) in this direction with the idea
> > of helping to build the "GNOME OS Installer"
>
> Following up from my previous mail, particularly on the subject of an
> installer:
>
> * At a high level, what makes me uncomfortable a bit is that it's a
>   lot of work that directly competes/overlaps with "distributions"
>   as they exist today.  That's not to say it doesn't make sense
>   to do - it does.  I just want to be able to maintain an "elevator
>   pitch" for what we're doing in GNOME for someone who is running
>   Debian or whatever today.  If we can say the effort is about
>   improving quality in the tarballs/git repositories in GNOME,
>   that helps.

Agree.

> * In order to do this, we need to be building kernels, and fixing
>   up the GRUB management.

Agree.

> * Deciding whether the installer is a live system or not is extremely
>   important.

I think having a live system is quite desirable, but I would start just
with a non live one.

> * Should keep it extremely simple - partition disk,
>   lay out filesystem tree, install bootloader, reboot into initial
>   setup

Yep, I was already following the mock ups in:
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/Installer

It is a really simple installer.

> * To what degree are you considering reusing existing code?

I have no intention of reinventing the wheel so, as much as possible.

Br.
--
Andres Gomez
Computer Science Engineer