Re: [orca-list] Get voice settings from Orca

Hello,

as for the Orca's configuration file, you can find it in:

~/.local/share/orca/user-settings.conf

It's a plain-text JSON file, so as long as you have parsing libraries,
it should be reasonable to work with.

Just note, that Orca supports profiles, so you need to take these in
account.

Personally, when coding applications, I tend to leave the speech
parameters to Speech dispatcher.

When the user wants to change something, they can create an user-based
configuration via spd-config, this way it'll work everywhere and one can
use different settings for the screen reader and SPD.

It works for everything, except pitch range.

I'm not sure if this is a bug in SPD, Orca or another problem, but while
Orca is supposed to set the pitch range it uses on its connection,
actually, when you change this value in the configuration of speech
dispatcher, you will get a different voice pitch from the screenreader.

So this is one limitation of this approach. It works nicely otherwise.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 9. 9. 2022 o 13:12 Artem Semenov via orca-list napísal(a):
Hi all.
Tell me, please, is there any way to get voice settings such as synthesizer, voice, pitch, volume,
punctuation speed and the like from Orca?
Like an API, or is there a configuration file somewhere on the disk?
I'm trying to implement an announcing that would not differ from Kasatka's voice, but, unfortunately, I did
not find any way to get such settings through the speech dispatcher.
I see that similar ideas have been discussed here, but has it been implemented?
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2015-September/msg00422.html