[orca-list] No Audio In Ubuntu

Hi All,
I need to use Chirp on my Ubuntu and it has been installed on this computer
for a couple years.
I am trying to not upgrade Ubuntu right now, because I will need to
reinstall Chirp with a flatpack, because only the flatpack version runs on
python 3X.
But I updated my Ubuntu 18.04 to LTS and I lost audio, so I cannot use Orca.
I can SSH into it to try some things.
I did
apt remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio
and then
apt install alsa-base pulseaudio
and rebooted, but that didn't help.
I've tried using alsamixer, but in the SSH terminal, you can't tell if there
an M or O, so I don't know if anything is muted, and I have run
speaker-test, and my iPhone confirms that the speaker test is running in the
terminal, and I have tried the FN-function keys for mute/unmute and volume
up on the laptop.
So I do believe the LTS update messed things up, and I don't know how to get
audio back.
What is a no fail amixer command to make sure everything is 100% and
unmuted?
And, does anyone know what else I might try to do with pulseaudio and alsa
to get audio going?
If I do
aplay -l
It shows the Intel audio device.