Re: [orca-list] Caps lock in laptop mode differs between Wayland and Xorg

Hi,

i can confirm this issue in all my Gnome Ubuntu VMs using Wayland.

Basically, the caps-lock key grab doesn't work at all.

It would be great if someone could explain, whether this can be fixed or
not.

Even if the latter was true, I wouldn't consider the situation
completely desperate. Perhaps it could be possible to remap the
caps-lock key to insert and use that instead?

Key remapping is an elementary capability of any system, so I think it
should be possible with Wayland too (even though I didn't look into the
actual options, so it's just a guess).

But either way, if there is a way to have it fixed in Orca, it would be
great to at least be notified, so we know whether to start creating
workaround scripts or not.

Wayland introduces major improvements in terms of security and other
areas, it's the future, and we should be ready for it.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 24. 5. 2022 o 11:29 Milton via orca-list napísal(a):
Hi all,

I use Ubuntu 22.04 with Wayland, Orca master in laptop mode.

Do the following:

1. start gedit and type 'hello'

2. press Caps lock + T to hear the time.

3. type another letter in gedit.

The result is that a capital letter is spoken. I have to press the Caps
lock key to have normal letters. In Xorg Orca do not have this issue.

Milton