Re: [orca-list] Let's celebrate! Red hat has hired a blind person to improve accessibility!

Quoting Rastislav Kish:
  From my perspective, specific technology doesn't matter that much. It's
more about getting popular gui frameworks to make accessibility easier
to do right than break it.

Yes, that is the thought I was attempting to convey. The underlying toolkits that power the interfaces to the applications we use, no matter the technology, need to be easier to get right than to break, much like HTML already does in a browser. And no, we don't really need all these accessibility classes and such, just make it work and make it easier for developers to get right than to break. My own website is a really good example, as it was very easy to code, and although I had a little help with the visual styling, no one can say that a screen reader user cannot use it. Accessibility came right out of the box, with no specific awareness or forethought and no specialized a11y tags needed ... it just works. Linux developers of the toolkits powering our graphical applications are at a unique advantage in this regard, as the source code that makes everything work is freely available. This means that it should be possible to build in this stuff, or even rebuild it if necessary, so that applications just work out of the box with Orca, without specialized classes or anything else that tend to get in the way of development, as it's a large amount to have to learn in many cases.

~Kyle