Re: [orca-list] Let's celebrate! Red hat has hired a blind person to improve accessibility!

Hi,

HTML is great indeed, its semantic nature and simplicity of access both
help screenreaders really much.

Its major disadvantage, though, is its processing stack. You typically
need a browser engine to render it properly, which isolates you from the
platform's native environment, increases the app size and the start time
is not particularly shiny, either.

For a developer, that means a lot of restrictions, with additional
problems with performance and size.

It's not like the problems would be no-gos, Electron is one pretty
popular way of using HTML+JS for crossplatform production.

But, especially for apps that need better integration, native behavior
or a more lightweight design, this can be a rather tricky choice.

 From my perspective, specific technology doesn't matter that much. It's
more about getting popular gui frameworks to make accessibility easier
to do right than break it.

Android is one amazing example of this. While it's indeed definitely
possible to make a droid app inaccessible, and some people are pretty
good in doing so, the fact that most of people use the standard Android
SDK widgets just because they're simply there out of the box and provide
enough functionality contributes really a lot to the Android ecosystem
accessibility.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 28. 6. 2022 o 0:21 Kyle via orca-list napísal(a):
Quoting from the article:

"For now, my focus is to go through the applications which were ported
to GTK 4 as a part of the GNOME development cycle and ensure that they
work well. It includes adding a lot of missing labels, but in some
cases, it will involve bigger changes, for example, GNOME Calendar seems
to need much more work. During all that, educating developers should not
be forgotten either."

Actually, making things work more like HTML in a web browser is probably
a better option. Notice how accessible HTML is right out of the box, and
it takes breaking things to break things. For example, I had to do very
little to make my website work. It took more effort to make it look good
than to make a screen reader read it well. I wish the same for any OS,
but many seem to make accessibility rather esoteric, or even occult for
many developers instead of making it the default behavior. Developers
should not be required to learn tons of extra stuff just to make their
applications work with screen readers, and accessibility should be core
default functionality, not a bolt-on or an afterthought that requires
much training and testing in order to get right from an application
developer's standpoint. Yeah, maybe this is perfect world stuff, but we
do have the ability, since everything in Linux is open source, to solve
this problem once and for all from the ground up.

~Kyle