Re: [orca-list] Java accessibility

On 1/5/22 08:45, Edhoari Setiyoso via orca-list wrote:
I want to use Jetbrain IDE in linux. I have it installed but it appears to be inaccessible.
Is there something that I need to do to make it work?
As far as I have tried, no, unfortunately.
You can try to use VSCode with Java extension pack.
However, Java handling there is pretty basic.
Auto completion and actions list to correct is not that comprehensive as in IntelliJ IDEA, which is understandable because VSCode is an editor that implements Java support via extensions and IntelliJ Idea is an ide that is developed specifically for Java. Maybe, some customizations can be added to VSCode in terms of Java support, however, as for now I haven't found anything really helpful, for example I couldn't make VSCode to work with cucumber tests in conjunction with Java, so that was a point why I tried out IntelliJ. Automatic static imports isn't also an obvious thing to configure in VSCode. There is no official documentation about that, you have to read millions of sources to understand that. From my experience, if you want to write different automated tests and work with maven projects in VSCode, you first have to spend hours and hours to completely understand how it all works. VSCode doesn't use any customizations to maven project creation as IntelliJ IDEA does.
But as said before, IntelliJ is not accessible on Linux.
You could also try Eclipse but I don't know if it's still maintained.
I hope it helps!
--
regards,
Vsevolod