Re: [orca-list] No Audio In Desktop - RaspberryPI

Hello,

I have a Raspberry pi 4B and it works fine.

Though it's true it's running the Raspberry pi OS from cca. the mid previous year?, I'm not sure whether that might make a difference.

First of all, did you install and configure the dummy video display driver properly?

I don't mean just whether you did the step, but also whether you checked up it vent as planned - the monitor configuration got saved on the proper place, contains no syntactic or other mistakes etc.

May be the user interface did not start up in the first place, what would explain the lack of interaction.

I was following a great article of Pranav Lav:

https://techesoterica.com/getting-the-orca-screen-reader-working-on-a-raspberry-pi-4-with-raspbian-buster-and-the-mate-desktop/

With some modifications.

If you have this configured and you can tell the interface has started up...

If you installed Orca right away from its git repository, it might be worth trying installing the orca package first and putting the git orca on top of it.

It's a bit hackish solution, but in my case, it helped me to get through, as even though i managed to get Orca to speak the instruction for pressing the installation shortcut, doing so didn't do anything.

By installing the distribution package, things get in place and the git operation just updates the screenreader.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 17. 2. 2022 o 17:51 K0LNY_Glenn napísal(a):
Hi All,
I tried looking for help on the RaspberryVI list, but nothing helpful was offered.
In fact, except for one other person, I have seen almost no traffic there, so I thought I might get some help here.
I'm trying to get two RaspberryPIs working, an older model B or B+, not sure, and a newer PI 4.
I downloaded a Buster image from the RaspberryPI site, it was dated January of this year, so when I ran them and SSHed into them the updates I ran did a minimal update.
The older model, as soon as I booted it, it spoke and offered the control alt space to install Orca, and I did and it rebooted on its own when it finished.
The PI4 never did speak, so I installed Orca via SSH on that one.
eSpeak and spd-say did not talk at all via SSH until Orca was installed.
But even though Orca is installed on both PIs, the desktop is silent.
The only way I can hear eSpeak is through SSH.
speaker-test via SSH works, but not from keyboard input.
Orca is in the autostart directory, and pulseaudio is there too.
Is Pulseaudio possibly causing issues?
I am running both out the audio jack, I never use HDMI.
I used raspi-config via SSH to set things up, including the audio out source.
I'm hoping someone here has some ideas.
Thanks much.

Glenn