[orca-list] No Audio In Desktop - RaspberryPI

Hi All,
I tried looking for help on the RaspberryVI list, but nothing helpful was offered.
In fact, except for one other person, I have seen almost no traffic there, so I thought I might get some help here.
I'm trying to get two RaspberryPIs working, an older model B or B+, not sure, and a newer PI 4.
I downloaded a Buster image from the RaspberryPI site, it was dated January of this year, so when I ran them and SSHed into them the updates I ran did a minimal update.
The older model, as soon as I booted it, it spoke and offered the control alt space to install Orca, and I did and it rebooted on its own when it finished.
The PI4 never did speak, so I installed Orca via SSH on that one.
eSpeak and spd-say did not talk at all via SSH until Orca was installed.
But even though Orca is installed on both PIs, the desktop is silent.
The only way I can hear eSpeak is through SSH.
speaker-test via SSH works, but not from keyboard input.
Orca is in the autostart directory, and pulseaudio is there too.
Is Pulseaudio possibly causing issues?
I am running both out the audio jack, I never use HDMI.
I used raspi-config via SSH to set things up, including the audio out source.
I'm hoping someone here has some ideas.
Thanks much.

Glenn