Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 10:38:05 +0100
From: Didier Spaier via orca-list <orca-list gnome org>
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Firefox "update frame not accessible

Hi Brandt,

I assume that you got firefox typing as root:
latest firefox
This can be confirmed typing:
firefox -v
to get the version number.
Currently here this gives:
Mozilla Firefox 97.0
so yours could be 96.something

If this is the case, the firefos you have is a repackaging of an official binary
and the frame probably says:

<text of frame begins below>
Firefox can't update itself to the latest version.

Download a new version of Firefox and we will be able to guuide you to install it
<text of frame ended above>

Then you can chose either "Later" or "Download Thunderbird"

You can choose "Download Thunderbird," but then this software will not be
manageable by the Slint management tools.

My suggestion is that when this frame pop up, you just close Firefox and get the
newest version typing again as root:
latest firefox.

I have considered automating this, e.g. through a daily or hourly cron job  that
would run "latest firefox", then silently fail if no update is available else
perform the update but it is probably too intrusive: I prefer to let user manage
their systems.

I have found a recent post which gives explanations about this frame (of which
he is unhappy too) and propose workarounds:
https://www.journeybytes.com/disable-firefox-quantum-updates/

Cheers,
Didier