Re: [orca-list] All about Orca

I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I'll answer the ones I can inline.

Amy had a few questions that went something like this:
1. I was wondering how to copy and paste using orca in Linux?

Copy and paste isn't done using Orca, but rather using the desktop environment. It should be very similar to what you're used to doing. Go to the beginning of the text you want to select, use shifted arrow keys to select the text, then press control+c to copy it to the clipboard, or control+x to cut it. Then go to the place where you want to paste, in any application that will accept text, and press control+v where you want the text pasted. I see you mention trying to copy from a terminal in another question. This is handled somewhat differently. The most reliable method I found to do this has been to pipe my command through tee like

ls *txt | tee TextFileList

Then I can put TextFileList into a text editor and copy what I want using standard commands. On the other hand, there is a method for doing this using the flat review functionality I explain below. Easiest is to copy whole lines by going to the line where you want to start, pressing the left click emulation key, the slash key on the number pad, 3 times rapidly, then going to the last line you want to copy, pressing shift+slash on the number pad, then pressing control+shift+c in the terminal to copy your highlighted text to the clipboard. But the tee method has the added benefit, aside from its increased reliability and standard way of copying since you're using a text editor, that you won't have to worry about command output scrolling off the screen, because the entire output of the command is stored in the file you specify, so you can just navigate through the file and find what you want to copy just like you would any other text file.

3. I like to use Jaws to write my assignments. I was wondering is there a
way I can copy the text from the termal terminal and somehow put it into the
word doc that I have on my regular machine?

Most virtual machine software has what is referred to as a bidirectional clipboard, where you can copy from the host OS and paste into the guest, or copy from the guest and paste into the host. But that's pretty roundabout for what it sounds like you're trying to do, and doesn't always work. It would be much easier to just use LibreOffice or possibly a Google doc. Writing a Google doc has the added benefit of being accessible to both the virtual machine and its host at the same time. So you could write most of your document from the main machine and just paste into the same document from in your virtual machine's browser.

4. How can I read a word at a time after I executes a command in the
terminal?

Orca has complete flat review functionality. Using your number pad if you have one, you can use 7, 8 and 9 to review by lines, 4, 5 and 6 to read by words and 1, 2 and 3 to read by characters. These all work as expected, where the left key goes up or to the left, the middle key reads the current line, character or word, and the right key moves the review down or to the right.

5. How can I let Orca to read the text from the terminal back to me again?
When I type a command and hit enter, Orca reads to me only once. I am not
sure how to make Orca repeated to me.

That is the functionality of the flat review I mentioned. You can hold down the Orca key, 0 on the number pad and press the 7 key to skip back to the top, and then you can use the keys I mentioned in the previous answer to review the text in the terminal as needed. The text editor method I mention using the pipe through the tee command will do the same thing, but it's a text file, so you can read the output in your favorite text editor, usually either gedit or pluma, depending on your system, no matter how many screens the output took. Hope this helps.

~Kyle