Re: [orca-list] Orca confused / confusing when switching keyboard layouts

I had the same problem when I played with alternative English layouts such as dvorak and colemak layouts. Orca retains the previous layout both for structural navigation and for its other internal keybindings until it is restarted, or at least that seems to be my experience. Restarting Orca does seem to fix this until I switch layouts again, at which time I must restart Orca once again to get back the correct keys. The best fixes other than restarting Orca would include sending a signal to Orca that the keyboard layout changed, or hacking Orca to poll for layout changes, which could be done slowly so as not to bog down the system, maybe once every second or similar if no signal is in fact being sent over dbus or similar when the layout is changed. Now that I think about it, such a work-around in Orca could possibly solve a long-standing problem I have had where modifiers no longer work correctly if a keyboard is unplugged or disconnected and subsequently plugged back in or reconnected. Restarting Orca also appears to solve this problem for me. So perhaps simply looping slowly over any keyboard detection code could kill two birds with one stone as the saying goes.

~Kyle