Re: [orca-list] Is there a workaround to use Android Studio with Orca please?

Hey there,

this depends on what you define as "to use it".

As for the basic interface manipulation, this works quite well. The only problem is, that the included JRE doesn't support JAW, so it won't be accessible "just out of the box".

But you can workaround this by forcing AS to use your system JRE by setting:

STUDIO_JDK=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java

in /etc/environment.

When you do this, AS will be accessible like any other Java application on Linux.

What... has its caveats, be prepared to see certain actions make it fall completely, but this is not just the case of Linux, Java has been, unfortunately, always problematic on Windows as well, so nothing really new.

Thus, I don't use AS for development itself, just as a project generator.

Note that you may need to use OCRDesktop to find the Create new project button on the main screen, it doesn't seem to be normally reachable at least in my current configuration due to the list of recent projects standing in way.

May be if I would turn it off, that might make the controls available, but OCRDesktop does the work just fine, so I don't have a reason to mess with it.

The rest of the project generation is fully accessible.

As far as you have a project generated, you can leave AS and develop in whatever you want. AS Android projects use gradle as their build system, so you can compile through command line by launching the gradlew.sh script, included in every gradle project.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 23. 11. 2021 o 9:41 Christophe Delaunay napísal(a):

Hi all,

On the Android Studio developers' site, (https://developer.android.com/studio/intro/accessibility), I can read the following:

Screen readers are currently only supported for Android Studio on Windows.

Does it mean that there is no way at all to use it on a Debian Bullseye machine with Orca?

I'm desperately posting this request because this Debian machine is the only one I got here at work and, in addition, by reading further the webpage treating of the accessibility of Android Studio, I can find tips for Mac users although MacOS is not listed as being useable with Android Studio.

Many thanks in advance for any advice. Have a nice day. Chris D