Re: [orca-list] How event-spammy is VSCode?

Will do it tomorrow or Friday 😊

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list <orca-list-bounces gnome org> On Behalf Of Joanmarie Diggs
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 5:50 AM
To: orca-list <orca-list gnome org>
Subject: [orca-list] How event-spammy is VSCode?

Hey all.

Background: As a number of you know, I've been making some changes in Orca to stop some event floods. This
work was triggered by observations that Discord is super spammy. I'm now working on fixing this in Chromium,
which is where the spam is coming from. Eventually those changes will work their way into Electron, but as we
all know, those things can take time. However in the past, when an accessibility fix landed in Chromium and
is needed to make VSCode accessibility better, the VSCode accessibility folks seem able to backport the
change into Electron. So I'm wondering if the work I'm doing to fix Discord -- and any other web app which
uses ARIA live regions -- might help improve VSCode.

How can you help? If you use VSCode and Orca master, when you have nothing better to do, turn on full
debugging in Orca and capture a debug.out using VSCode like you normally do. Then search it for "FLOOD?" and
"DELUGE!" If you find matches, I'd love to see it. And if you never find matches, that would be helpful to
know as well.

Note I am not in a hurry, and don't need many answers. Just some evidence which supports -- or refutes -- a
claim that what I'm working on needs to be backported to make VSCode better.

Thanks!
--joanie