[orca-list] OT: Best console screen reader for roguelikes?

Hey folks,

Thinking of getting into roguelikes. Every time I've tried playing them in something like gnome-terminal, the experience is suboptimal. So I'm looking for the best console screen reader for them. Can anyone recommend one?

I'm not sure if that question makes much sense. I know roguelike accessibility depends on the individual roguelike, but it probably also depends on how the screen reader interprets and handles various control sequences. As such, is there one that does better than others? I know Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead has accessibility improvements, but it needs to be played on a console and with an actual console screen reader to use them.

Speakup was recommended to me, but my Linux experience is mostly with GUI distros. I mean, I can use the console well enough, I just don't know anything about light console-only distros with an accessible installation and that aren't blindie-specific. If I need Speakup, I'm happy for distro recommendations as well. I'm running this in a VM so there's no risk to hardware, but I'd rather not hose my graphical installation that I rely on.

Thanks.