Re: [orca-list] Linux Mint mate 20.1 and compiling Orca from sources

On 1/14/21 3:18 AM, Joshua Jama via orca-list wrote:

Is it recommended to compile Orca in stable distributions like Linuxmint from the sources, or should I stay with the package maintainers Version?

I think that partly depends on how comfortable you are with compiling and installing software yourself, or whether you're planning to learn if you aren't already experienced.

Note also that some distributions have additional repositories (not active by default) from which you can install more recent versions of some packages. For example, Debian has the "unstable" and "experimental" repositories. Ubuntu has PPAs (Personal Package Archives, if I recall correctly). Fedora has the COPR repositories. Arch Linux has the Arch User Repository.

Depending on your distribution and what is available, you may be able to install a more up to date package. I can't comment on Linux Mint specifically. Also, of course it's fine and it's everyone's choice to install less popular or well resourced distributions if they want to, but it also limits the ability of others in the community to help. It is my impression that there's more support for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and Arch, than for most others.