Re: [orca-list] Plugin system gsettings Migration

Howdy,

Thanks Alexander, i didnt know that Ubuntu uses that. I understand what they did, even if it doesnt handle profiles and an per application settings properly (on an first look).

But for sure we would get this done.
But as i hear its not wanted to do so? Is this right? Why not? We have to reconcept that part in any way, because the plugins have to be able to bring new settings with them.
Joanie whats the plan here?

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 17.12.2021 um 22:06 schrieb Alexander Epaneshnikov <aarnaarn2@gmail. Howdy,

Thanks Alexander, i didnt know that Ubuntu uses that. I understand what they did, even if it doesnt handle profiles and an per application settings properly (on an first look).

But for sure we would get this done.
But as i hear its not wanted to do so? Is this right? Why not? We have to reconcept that part in any way, because the plugins have to be able to bring new settings with them.
Joanie whats the plan here?

Cheers chrys

Nope i did not give up on bring a plugin system to orca. I was very bussy the last couple of weeks but i need a project for christmas vocation ;).

I‘m currently looking for an concept to move the  Settings storage from the JSON like file to gsettings. Well i never used gsettings til now. Its very laborious to handle. You need to create a XML scheme for each setting you have (and xml is IMO not very human friendly lol) but anyway. I stuck having another Problem.  Orca supports „per Application configuration“. So you van have a set of different settings per application. Seems there is no „nice“ way to handle this in gsettings but creating lists in lists (what would make it awful to handle in dconf (as well later in our new more generic preferences dialog) and programming, and loose many of gsettings benefits AFAIK) or copy schemes on the fly as new copy on filesystem (not sure if this is possible)
please please! I beg you. do not do this. ubuntu tried to do this and my
hatred for them has not faded ever since. there is no real reason to link orca
and gsettings. none at all.