Re: [orca-list] Plugin system gsettings Migration

On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 01:33:53PM +0100, Linux A11y wrote:
Howdy,

Thanks Alexander, i didnt know that Ubuntu uses that. I understand what they did, even if it doesnt handle
profiles and an per application settings properly (on an first look).

https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-orca/commit/?h=applied/ubuntu/bionic&id=b2d49a3f250881eff036b1ebfc97148fe94acf75

moreover, this thing most often does not work at all.

But for sure we would get this done.
But as i hear its not wanted to do so? Is this right? Why not? We have to reconcept that part in any way,
because the plugins have to be able to bring new settings with them.

indeed, I believe that this should not be done at all. There are several
reasons for this:
1. orca is fairly independent of the desktop environment.
I would like it to stay that way. the dconf dependency directly contradicts
this.
2. there are no advantages of switching to dconf, and there are enough
disadvantages, for example, it is difficult to synchronize settings between
different computers, the difficulty in manual configuration
of orca increases.

as vscode shows us, a complex configuration system is absolutely possible
using json

Joanie whats the plan here?

--
Sincerely, Alexander