[orca-list] difficult interaction of pympress and orca master

What is pympress? It's a program for displaying pdf with annotations
potentially on a different screen and controllable from the keyboard.
You can find it at https://github.com/Cimbali/pympress.git
I love it to bits since I can now have pdf generated from LaTeX
displaying notes on my braille device and, most marvellous of all,
controlled from the keyboard and guaranteed to have notes and slides
in sync, something I'm always worrying over. A recent orca upgrade
broke this happy story. I won't call it an orca bug, just as likely
some problem with the python-gtk changes I hacked together and cimbali
kindly included. The system works with orca 3.28.0 packaged
with ubuntu 18.04-lts. I can switch pages with arrow keys and scroll
through the text with the appropriate keys on the braille device. With
the orca master downloaded a few minutes ago I can still change pages
but get no response to the scrolling on the braille device or with
speech in flat review. You can find  a compressed debug.out file at
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/52tgchhedvvey1u/debug-2021-07-29-19%3A01%3A37.out.gz?dl=0>. I do
notice we're getting the "flood" warning. The code in pympress used to display the
annotations is:
    def add_annotations(self, annotations):
        """ Add annotations to be displayed (typically on going to a new slide).

        Args:
            annotations (`list`): A list of strings, that are the annotations to be displayed
        """
        buf = self.annotations_textview.get_buffer()
        buf.set_text('\n'.join(annotations))
        buf.place_cursor( buf.get_start_iter())
Any guidance on whether I'm triggering this or whether it's some
strange interaction with orca would be welcome.
regards
Peter

--
Peter Rayner (he/him), Level 1, 187 Grattan St.
Academic Lead - Climate & Energy College <http://www.climatecollege.unimelb.edu.au>