Re: [orca-list] free voices other than espeak

Hi,

first of You should switch to the new orca profile ("rhvoice-profile" in my case) in the orca settings and make sure that RHVoice TTS is available in the list of synthesizers in the Voice tab. Next open orca settings in the editor. Type in the terminal:

pluma ~/.local/share/orca/user-settings.conf

and edit respective RHVoice profile. For example in my case I set voice name to Natalia and language to Ukrainian:

        "rhvoice-profile": {
            "speechServerFactory": "orca.speechdispatcherfactory",
            "speechServerInfo": [
                "rhvoice",
                "rhvoice"
            ],
            "voices": {
                "default": {
                    "established": true,
                    "family": {
                        "name": "natalia",
                        "lang": "uk",
                        "dialect": null,
                        "variant": null
                    }
                },

Restart orca.

You can check available voices/languages in the /usr/share/RHVoice.

Note: be carefull when editing the settings manually as any syntax error or typo may break Your settings and prevent orca from speaking. To reset broken settings You can try removing configuration file. Type in the terminal:

rm ~/.local/share/orca/user-settings.conf

After next start orca will run with the default settings.

Also note: all hacking above will not work for the Ubuntu default orca installation. Because in this case the settings are not stored in the user home directory like above. You should have orca compiled from git repository to be able to editing orca settings configuration file in Ubuntu.

Best regards

Volodymyr